Friday, March 07, 2008

The Buttinger House

I don't know if the 'Buttinger House' is really the name of this place but I have to call it something. The house is at a nature preserve managed by the Stony Brook Millstone Watershed Association near Pennington, NJ. It's a park I paint at pretty often. I did these paintings from some photos I took last summer - they show the front porch and a side door to the house.


"The Side Door"
16x20 oil on canvas


"The Front Porch"
24x30 oil on canvas

For an interesting bit of history: the house and land for the nature preserve were donated to the county by Muriel Morris Gardiner Buttinger, who is a pretty fascinating person. Besides studying psycho-analysis in Vienna and being analyzed by Sigmund Freud, she was active in the anti-fascist Austrian underground during World War II and later wrote about those events in "Code Name Mary: Memoirs of an American Woman in the Austrian Underground".

1 comment:

  1. I really like this, i want to try to paint some churches

    ReplyDelete