Tuesday, August 05, 2008

The Neshanic Mill and Bridges

"The Neshanic Mill"
11x14 oil on panel


This old mill in Neshanic Station is a frequently used symbol for my local municipality, Hillsborough Township. To be honest, it's pretty atypical of what most of the township looks like, but what the heck - it's a nice scene. The mill is now a private residence, and must be a wonderful place to live (as long as the river is behaving). That old iron trestle railroad bridge is no longer used - trains run on this newer old bridge 1/4 mile downstream:

"Neshanic Railroad Bridge"
8x10 oil on panel

I did both paintings from a nice shady spot under another iron trestle bridge for cars - the mill is looking upstream, the active railroad bridge is looking downstream. As of yet, I've never painted this middle bridge - the one I'm standing under - but it's a picturesque bridge so I'll have to do something about that soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment