Monday, October 25, 2010

Wildness in Out Midst - The Greater Sourlands Eco-Region

I have 3 paintings in a show entitled "Wildness in Out Midst - The Greater Sourlands Eco-Region" running Oct 25 - Nov 26 at the D&R Greenway headquarters in Princeton, NJ. This show celebrates the Sourland Mountain, a truly unique region covering about 90 square miles and including the largest contiguous forest remaining in central NJ.  It also includes my home, so I know the area very well and paint on the mountain often.

"Rock Brook"
8x6" oil on board

The waterfall in my painting "Rock Brook" is really an old mill dam, and you can see many old stone foundations in the woods nearby.  According the book "New Jersey's Sourland Mountain", there were 5 mills operating on this small creek in the late 1700's.   And the artist George Bellows sent a summer living nearby and did a number of paintings within a mile of this spot.


"Amwell Valley Clouds"
11x14" oil on canvas on board

My painting "Amwell Valley Clouds" was done just across the street from my house.  I can only see woods out of my windows, but this is the view from my mailbox, looking northeast across the valley towards the Watchung Mountains.


The show runs Oct 25 - Nov 26 at:

D&R Greenway's Marie L. Matthews Gallery
at Johnson Education Center
One Preservation Place, Princeton, NJ 08540
Phone: 609-924-4646
[map & directions]


Artists Reception: Friday Evening, November 5, from 5:30 - 7:00

No comments:

Post a Comment