Saturday, July 28, 2007

Old Haunts

When I was a kid, I used to go fishing with my father near this spot in Kingston, NJ but I probably haven't been back here for about 30 years. This week I had the urge to visit and check it out for painting. There's a lot of good subject matter nearby: the canal, the Millstone River, Carnagie Lake, and old mill, a few old bridges... I ended up painting another in my series of white buildings:
"Kingston Canal House & Lock"
11x14 oil on linen panel

This is a lock on the Delaware & Raritan Canal. The house was for the lock keeper / bridge keeper who had to work the lock and swing the bridge open for passing barges. The D&R Canal used to have 'swing bridges' that could pivot horizontally to let ships through, but I don't think any of these still exist. Here's the park plaque with a bit of the canal history:

No comments:

Post a Comment