Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Painting In The Dark

Last night I was painting another view of the Kingston lock keeper's house. The one I did last week was painted on location. This one I was doing from photographs in my studio. Halfway through the painting, the power went out and I was in the dark. The painting had been going so well... I felt I was on a roll and didn't want to stop, so with a flashlight in my left hand, paintbrush in my right, I kept going. Then I remembered that I have a lantern - I lit that but it didn't give off a very bright light, and the color was very un-daylight like. I painted this way for about 45 minutes until the power came back on. What a comical sight I must have been, but it did turn out well:

"Lock #8, Kingston"
5x7 oil on wood panel

Actually, I think the unusual and dim lighting helped me to see the big shapes and values better, and this might have actually helped me to concentrate on the important things (i.e. the big shapes and values). Maybe I should do more painting in the dark!

No comments:

Post a Comment